The focus of Wells Foundation grant-making
The mission and vision of Wells focus on:
- Funding social initiatives through innovative and entrepreneurial action.
- Selecting recipients for funding who use practical means to address identified needs, and who reach demonstrable goals.
- Leveraging our contribution to organizations by coordinating with other foundations whenever possible.
In recent years our emphasis has been on initiatives to end homelessness among youth and veterans.
Our funding limit is $10,000 per applicant organization per year.
The Wells Board accepts applications from organizations beginning July 1 and running through October 1 of each year. During these 3 months, an online application form will appear at the bottom of this page along with specific instructions for its completion. We will acknowledge receipt of the application immediately and follow-up with you within three weeks. Click here to view a screenshot of the online grant application form that will appear during the application period.
The grant application should include only two documents as attachments to your email (described below). Documents must be in PDF format. These documents are:
1. The Minnesota Common Grant Application. The form is available online here.
The Minnesota Common Grant Application Form is designed to help make the grantseeking process simpler and more efficient for nonprofits. The form can help reduce the amount of time grantseekers must spend rearranging basic information from one proposal to the next to fit grantmakers’ varying application requirements. The Minnesota Council on Foundations introduced the Common Grant Application Form in 1996 and revised it in December 2000. The form was developed based on input from MCF members and representatives from the state’s nonprofit community.
2. Cover letter. The second document should be a cover letter explaining:
- How your program will address the root cause of a social problem
- How your organization proposes to create solutions with measurable outcome
- What specific activities or programs you would like us to fund
- How you will report annually on their activities
If grant applicants wish for the Wells Foundation to review additional materials we prefer that these be links to pages on the respective organization’s website. One additional PDF document (which can include multiple pages) may be submitted but we cannot guarantee that it will be reviewed.