A Century of Social Innovation
We drive entrepreneurial social innovation resulting in lasting change in our community.
The Wells Foundation 2020 Grant Recipients
The Wells Foundation mission of community service began in the 1880s. Annie Wells, the wife of St. Mark’s Parish Rector Thomas Bucklin Wells, allowed a German immigrant neighbor to use her sewing machine and gave her lessons in “modern” sewing. By 1908, the Wells Memorial Inc. Settlement House was established to teach sewing, serving, childcare and typing. In the mid-1920’s Wells became a non-profit tax exempt entity. Eventually, the settlement house and other properties were sold and the funds were put into an endowment for future needs of the community.
Presently, the Wells Foundation describes itself as “a neighborhood partner in social and recreational activities.” In effect, Wells Foundation helps people to help themselves. It is believed that this conforms with the original intent of Wells Memorial’s founders.
Our vision: We drive entrepreneurial social innovation resulting in lasting change in our community.